This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Installation for VS 2010 requires elevated permissions

Jun 12, 2010 at 12:24 AM

I just tried installing the config section designer under VS 2010, but I get the error "This setup must be launched from an elevated command prompt".  However, your notes on installation for VS 2010 mention that an Administrator account is not required.  I am, in fact, not an administrator on the machine [at work] on which I'm trying to install this.  However, I did install VS 2010 itself without any such administrative privileges, so I'm not sure why a VS add-in would require such privileges.  Can you help me out here?  Thanks!

Jun 14, 2010 at 10:14 AM
VS 2010 is currently not supported. See http://csd.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=73703
Coordinator
Jun 15, 2010 at 12:16 PM

I am working on VS 2010 however I had to pull the beta download as I missed a glaring problem. Some time soon as time allows I will finish it up

Nov 26, 2010 at 1:24 PM

The error is not Visual Studio installation but a Windows 7/Server 2008 change in security as the administrator account does not automatically run with elevated priviledges. The installer for the project needs to be changed but it is a small change. I have submitted this as an issue and how to change it.

The workaround for installing on Windows 7/Server 2008 is to

1. Write cmd in the search box under the Start button

2. Rightclick on the cmd in the list and choose Run as Administrator

3. Log in as admin or press ok elevated security

4. Install from the prompt. This way you install from the Admin account with elevated priviledges