Crashing on save

Jul 15, 2008 at 5:09 PM
Everytime I try and save the configuration I have created in the designer Visual Studio 2008 crashes, there is no error message it's just shuts down.
When I start it up again the changes in the designer has been saved but no .cs file is ever created.
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Configuration Section Designer but it has made no difference. I am using Visual Studio 2008 Developer and Test edition with SP1 Beta.
I would really like to get this working as it looks really useful. Any help would be very much appreciated.
Coordinator
Aug 5, 2008 at 1:57 PM
First of all, sorry for the delay in responding but I've been out for a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, I haven't seen that issue anywhere yet so I don't know what might be causing it. It might be related to the beta version of service pack 1, can you reproduce it on a machine without SP1 beta installed?

Thanks!

-Jelle
Sep 23, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Jelle, same problem here. The error (in Dutch) is the following:

{System.InvalidOperationException: Het token StartAttribute in de status Content zou leiden tot een ongeldig XML-document.
   bij System.Xml.XmlTextWriter.AutoComplete(Token token)
   bij System.Xml.XmlTextWriter.WriteStartAttribute(String prefix, String localName, String ns)
   bij System.Xml.XmlWriter.WriteAttributeString(String localName, String value)
   bij System.Configuration.ConfigurationElement.SerializeElement(XmlWriter writer, Boolean serializeCollectionKey)
   bij System.Configuration.ConfigurationElementCollection.SerializeElement(XmlWriter writer, Boolean serializeCollectionKey)
   bij System.Configuration.ConfigurationElement.SerializeToXmlElement(XmlWriter writer, String elementName)
   bij System.Configuration.ConfigurationElement.SerializeElement(XmlWriter writer, Boolean serializeCollectionKey)
   bij System.Configuration.ConfigurationElement.SerializeToXmlElement(XmlWriter writer, String elementName)
   bij System.Configuration.ConfigurationSection.SerializeSection(ConfigurationElement parentElement, String name, ConfigurationSaveMode saveMode)
   bij System.Configuration.MgmtConfigurationRecord.GetConfigDefinitionUpdates(Boolean requireUpdates, ConfigurationSaveMode saveMode, Boolean forceSaveAll, ConfigDefinitionUpdates& definitionUpdates, ArrayList& configSourceUpdates)}

Coordinator
Sep 23, 2008 at 3:49 PM
Maarten, if you don't also have a beta of the service pack, feel free to create an issue through the Issue Tracker and attach the project that shows the error.
Sep 24, 2008 at 7:09 AM
Issue has been created (http://www.codeplex.com/csd/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=3018), a reproducing project is on its way.